Sunday, April 10, 2016

Charcoal drawing - Natasha


Charcoal drawing on Stathmore paper.

I  have been unintentionally gone from my blog a very long time.  It is not because I have not been working but my work has taken a bit of a shift.  I have been doing more drawing lately and I have also done a few larger paintings that simply take more time.  This drawing of my friend Natasha is the type of drawing  I am trying to do more of.  It is a very good skill to be able to draw a portrait effectively.  By drawing a portrait which must be very exact I am improving my hand, eye coordination.  Drawing is the foundation to any painting and the more I can improve my drawing skill I will also improve my painting.  If I draw a tree and it looks like a tree I still have plenty of fudge room in the drawing.  As long as it looks like a tree it looks accurate.  But if I am drawing someone's portrait there is much less wiggle room for me.  This is what can really helps me to improve.  


2 comments:

  1. Welcome back Susan.
    This is a wonderful Portrait. I know how hard it is to Draw portraits. Every Monday i go to first in the afternoon Portrait drawing, 15min each drawing. Then in the evening I go to life classes drawing the figure. I`m okay with the figures, but a bit rusty with the portraits.
    All the best Susan.
    Vic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Vic, Thank you! It is so good that you are drawing and working on that skill. I would love to have access to a life drawing session, you can learn so much from that. As you do the portrait you will get better. I try to draw everyday now.

    ReplyDelete